Last week I celebrated my birthday. Not quite a milestone, but the big four-oh is rapidly approaching. Birthdays tend to put me in a contemplative, reflective trance. Time’s sweet, scary passage bodes its relevance through birthdays rather than a New Year. Resolutions weaken my resolve. But as I celebrate my birth, I think about my life – what I’ve done, where I’ve been, and where I’m going.
|Flowers from my dear friend|
I sat down with a few dear friends this past weekend, discussing everything from Facebook and perceptions to writing and the beauty of grey. Our conversations stimulate hours of contemplation, and often prompt an afternoon nap (due to deep conversation overload!). However, this particular day prompted a to-do list. Not the kind of list that sits on a counter collecting dust but the kind that simmers on the heart and mind for years.
My pre-40 list (of the non-bucket variety):
- Feel better physically and mentally
- Get to Plot Point 2 in my novel
- Attend a writing retreat
- Strengthen my relationship with God
- Write daily (blogging, WIP, journaling)
- De-clutter my life and mind (prune away the people and things keeping me from being true to myself and God’s call for me)
I can do this. Forty isn’t that scary…